[RDS-WHOIS2-Privacy-Proxy] Action Needed: Rec #10: Privacy-Proxy Services: Face-to-Face Meeting #2 Open Action Items

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Wed May 2 13:33:35 UTC 2018

Hi all,

regarding the issues you requested clarification:

Issue #1 is directed at the current discussions in the PPSAI IRT
regarding the fee structure proposed by ICANN for such service
providers. ICANN currently proposes fees to be charged by ICANN to
service providers for the accreditation that are comparable to the
annual fees payable by accredited registrars, minus the variable
component. As many providers are offering this service for free or
nominal fees, any cost increase would significantly impact their ability
to contiue to provide the service, more so than any of the formal or
practice requirements. Contracted parties have argued that this program
providers no actual benefit to the providers and is essentially only an
additional set of obligations. Adding additional costs ontop of that may
cause unaffiliated providers to attempt to circumvent the policy by
various means, rendering the policy useless. It was argued that it is in
the best interest of the ICANN community to ensure broad adoption of the
program by providers and as its benefits solely the community, it should
be the ICANN community, not the service providers that pick up the bill,
by means of the ICANN budget.

Additionally ICANN has continually claimed that these fees were on a
cost recovery basis, yet has failed to provide any itemized details on
how that figure has been arrived at, especially considering statements
from ICANN compliance that no additional personnel is expected to be
needed for this program and statements from ICANN that these costs would
remain the same regardless of whether only one or one million providers
sought accreditation.

Issue #2 revolves around the expectation that GDPR compliance would take
care of many of the reasons why registrants opt for privacy services in
the first place. This is expected to cause an industry-wide drop in the
use of these services as many of its functions would now be available
"for free" as the default. Many have questioned the need for the
continued existence of such services after May 25. As a result, the
recommendation may have outlived its usefulness. I am sure this impact
will not be fully visible by the time we finalize our report, but we
should be cognisant in it of the ongoing changes and their potential
impacts.

I hope this helps to understand the background on these issues.

As for the new issues, can someone clarify?

Best,

Volker

Am 01.05.2018 um 13:45 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Deroulez:

> Dear Rec #10: Privacy-Proxy Services Subgroup members,
>
> Please find below your subgroup open action items identified during
> the face-to-face meeting #2 in Brussels:
>
> Volker to clarify following issues for RT:
>
> • /Issue #1: Current funding proposals for accreditation program
> create concerns of ICANN failing the goal of onboarding all providers
> of such services due to inflation of costs. ICANN Org staff seems to
> be unable to justify proposed accreditation fees, which may endanger
> the entire program. /
>
> • /Issue #2: Impact of GDPR data redaction requirements on privacy
> services are yet unknown, but significant impact is expected as
> personal data becomes hidden by default without /
>
> Attached to this email, you will find agreements and actions items
> confirmed in Brussels. Meeting archives can be found at:
> https://community.icann.org/x/kA_8B.
>
> Dedicated subgroup page including background documents, actions items,
> decisions reached: https://community.icann.org/x/7ZlEB.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jean-Baptiste

Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.