[RDS-WHOIS2-RT-Leadership_Staff] RDS-WHOIS2 Review Team

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 1 03:59:47 UTC 2019

Hi Keith,

I am sending this message as Chair of the RDS-WHOIS2 Review Team to
update you on the status of the Review.

It had been our intention to issue our Final Report by the end of
2018, but for a number of reasons, that proved not possible.
Similarly, we were not able to make the fall-back date of 31 January
2019 but are trying to get it out prior to the leaving for the Kobe
meeting. We are in the last editing phase but there is still one
stumbling block - determining the final level of consensus on the
recommendations.

The recommendations were largely finalized during our last
face-to-face meeting on 10-12 December, subject to final editing. At
that time, all team members indicated they supported the
recommendations except for one member who objected to one
recommendation. That recommendation was reworded to that team
member's satisfaction, and no one registered any other dissent.
Nevertheless, the team decided that we would hold a final consensus
call to ensure that everyone was satisfied with the final intent and
wording of the recommendations.

At this point, of the nine active and voting RT members, seven have
formally given their final support for all recommendations. Despite
several many requests and reminders for a response, two of the team
members, Stephanie Perrin and Volker Greimann, appointed by the GNSO
Council, have not responded.

Although I am sure that both Stephanie and Volker had good reason to
have not been able to reply, we cannot further delay the issuance of
the report.

I discussed the situation today with my leadership team (Susan
Kawaguchi, appointed by the GNSO and Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, appointed
by the GAC). We believe that based on the general support we had for
the recommendations at the end of the last face-to-face meeting and
shortly thereafter, and the lack of any message indicating that
either Stephanie or Volker is NOT supporting any recommendation, we
plan to declare that we have full consensus on all recommendations,
noting this history and the lack of a reply from the two members.

As what I would consider a poorer alternative, we could just base
consensus on the seven members who have provided final input (and
effectively reducing the GNSO voting count from four to two).

As the Chair of the group appointing these two Review Team Members, I
would appreciate hearing your views on this and having your support
for proceeding with the first alternative.

Warm regards, Alan