[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] Subgroup 4 Compliance draft report

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Thu Jun 21 16:16:58 UTC 2018

Hi Susan,

regarding subsection 3.2.1.1.f) I propose a rewrite as discussed on our
call.

I realize this turns the original drive of this section on its head, but
I believe it is the only correct assessment when taking into account all
data available to us. We simply have no data suggesting these domain
name pose a bigger problem than others, and the trend of transition is
undisputable.

/*f. Grandfathered domain names*///

//

/Under the 2013 RAA Whois Accuracy Specification, new requirements
regarding verification and validation of registration data would only
apply to domain names that were newly registered, transferred between
registrars, had a change to the RNH occur, or that gave substantiated
rise to doubts regarding the accuracy of the registration data after the
date that the sponsoring registrar signed on to the 2013 version of the
RAA (At this time, only one registrar under the 2009 RAA remains).
Domain names that did not meet these conditions were considerd
"grandfathered domain names" to which the data accuracy requirements of
the 2009 RAA continued to apply (e.g. they do not require the collection
and display of Registrant email address, postal address or phone number
it, or validation or verification of the data./

//

/The latest WHOIS ARS Report (Phase 2 - Cycle 6) shows that the number
of such grandfathered domain names has steadily decreased from over time
from near 70% in June 2015 to near 30% in January 2018 as one or more of
the above trigger conditions for verification and/or validation of their
registration data occurred.Provided the current trend bears out, it can
be expected that over the course of the next 2-3 years the percentage of
grandfathered domains amongst the entire gTLD domain pool will drop to a
single digit percentage. //
//
//ICANN has not seen a need to revise the terms and conditions of the
whois accuracy specification in accordance with its section 5.)./

//

/*Analysis:*//If we assume the sample of ARS domain names of
grandfathered domain names is statistically relevant then we can
extrapolate that an equivalent trend of decreasing numbers of
grandfathered domain registrations exists amongst all domain names
currently registered. The transition process seems to be workign as
intended. /

//

/We have asked the compliance team to provide data on percentages of
accuracy complaints applying to grandfathered domains but they do not
track this data. /

//

/*Based on this analysis, the subgroup identified the following
Problems/Issues:*/

//

/Current RDS policies do not apply equally to all domain name
registrations. The 2013 RAA had a built-in transition process for
gradual adoption of the new requirements of pre-existing domain name
registrations based on those domain name registrations meeting certain
trigger conditions. WHOIS ARS results appear to suggest this process is
working as intended. While grandfathered domain name registrations still
exist current trends suggest that their number will stop being
statistically relevant in a few more years. More data may be needed to
track this development as well as the amount of abuse complaints
involving such domain names.
/

//

/
/

//

/*To address these issues, the subgroup proposes the following
recommendation (further detailed in Section 5):*/

///
ICANN and contracted parties should track the numbers of grandfathered
domain names involved in abuse complaints to see if these registrations
constitute a problem that would require a faster transition period./

(Probably not a top 5 recommendation)

Best,
Volker

Am 15.06.2018 um 15:18 schrieb Susan Kawaguchi:
> Hello All,
>
> I have updated the Compliance report for subgroup 4.
>
> Please see attached.
>
> Susan

Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.