[registrars] The New Responsive ICANN

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Aug 13 14:47:56 UTC 2003

On 8/13/2003 8:46 AM Elana Broitman noted that:

> I believe that it's all the varied voices.  The policies have been determined.  This group is not about changing policies. It is about giving ICANN advice as they go about implementing the policies.  That's why it's quite informal.

I was under the impression that this was a formal part of the policy
implementation process, especially limited to providing the ICANN staff
with advice regarding specific implementation details - not an ad
hoc/informal effort, nor a policy determination effort. I've got another
call with Tina this week and I'll bring this up with her so that I'm
completely clear what the mandate of this group was. I thought I was
clear on this point, but I'm getting conflicting signals. I hope that
our constituency has the opportunity to formally put forward specific
representatives that can look out for our collective interests. I'm not
comfortable with unelected appointee's providing informal advice that
they have no accountability for (or worse, conflicting accountabilities
for.)

In all cases in the past, we have held elections to put forward
representatives to committee's and groups like this. Why should it be
any different this time around?

I suppose it all boils down to who specifically was being asked to
participate. If the ICANN staff wanted someone from register.com to
participate, then I suppose that this makes sense - if the staff was
looking for a representative from this constituency, then its an
entirely different matter. I guess I should inquire as to the specific
nature of the staff request as well...

--

                        -rwr