[registrars] WHOIS meeting on Thursday 11 September 2003

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Aug 21 07:15:00 UTC 2003

Hello All,

I would like to hold a meeting on WHOIS to prepare some material as
input into the GNSO WHOIS Privacy work.

I invite any registrar or registry operator that wishes to attend.

I propose to meet from 10am to 1pm on Thursday 11 September in Marina
Del Ray.

The agenda will be:

(1) Review current contractual requirements with regard to provision of
WHOIS services
[30 mins]

(2) Review approaches to limit data mining via port 43 and web access
- suggest short term solution to make a tangible difference (prior to
any new standard)
- decide whether solution is consistent with contract of whether we
require contractual changes
[60 mins]

(3) Review the IETF CRISP requirements and see if it meets our needs
with regard to (1)
[30 mins]

(4) Review all registration data that is collected and decide:
- which data elements should continue to be mandatory (as per current
contract)
 for those that should be mandatory what is the impact if they are not
collected
- which data elements should continue to be displayed via WHOIS service
[30 mins]

The objective will be to develop a document on the issues above for
presentation at the registrars meeting on 12 September 2003, and later
circulation via the registrars list.
The ultimate aim will be to establish a constituency position on the
above issues via the normal email voting process.

I think that it is important that registrars and registries take a lead
in moving the issue on WHOIS forward as we did on the Transfers issue.
If we are not pro-active we risk having a solution dictated to us by
various Government regulators.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending on Thursday.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
Member of the registrars constituency