[registrars] Deletes task force

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Dec 1 07:26:13 UTC 2003

Hello Bob,

The status of the deletes policy is the same as the status of the
transfers policy.
ie The Board has approved the consensus policy, and the ICANN staff need
to update agreements etc and set a date for when registrars and
registries must comply.

With respect to the sentence that you quoted, it is intended to mean:
As a mechanism for enforcing this requirement, registries may elect to
delete names at the end of the expiration of the grace period for which
an explicit renew command has not been received prior to the expiration
of the grace period.

ie the second sentence needs to be read in the cotnext of the first
sentence which reads:
At the conclusion of the registration period, failure by or on behalf of
the Registered Name Holder to consent that the registration be renewed
within the time specified in a second notice or reminder shall, in the
absence of extenuating circumstances, result in cancellation of the
registration by the end of the auto-renew grace period (although
registrars may choose to cancel the name earlier).

There is no intent to indicate that a registry would cancel a name prior
to the completion of the grace period - otherise it wouldn't be a grace
period.

Regards,
Bruce