[registrars] Deletes task force

Bhavin Turakhia bhavin.t at directi.com
Tue Dec 2 03:32:48 UTC 2003

This issue has been floating around since quite some time now. Chuck
Gomes had explicitly mentioned that they would be considering it within
the Registry very shortly. This was at the Marina Del Rey Meeting quite
some time ago.

All of us Registrars (especially the smaller ones) are HIT by a cash
crunch issue the moment renewals kick in. We ourselves today are able
only to hold on to the domain for 15 days after renewal, because of the
fact that $6 per domain name is stuck with the registry.

It is quite a simple matter for the Registry to have an explicit renew
process instead of an explicit delete where the charge is levied when
the renew command is sent. Alternatively as others have suggested, the
$6 charge could sipmly be applied at the end of the 45 day auto-renew
period. This would not even require a change to the system. It would
remain an explicit delete based process, but would still ensure that a
cash flow issue is not created.

As we grow as a Registrar our fund requirement with the registries
nearly doubles because of this auto-renew cash-component.

As paul mentiones this is worse with the .info registry.

Paul: you were explicitly following this issue up I believe. Is afilias
responding? Are they planning on changing this like PIR?

This deletes issue has been hanging around quite some time and requires
a tiny tweak. I would luv to discuss this in detail with the registry
and come to a final resolution.

Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder, CEO and Chairman