[registrars] Regarding introducing registry services

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Tue Nov 4 21:21:25 UTC 2003

Bruce, I agree that is a basic question.

Since both DoC and ICANN say they need to approve new services for gTLDs, I
can only conclude that it was intended that some TLDs were to be one way and
some the other way.
For example, ccTLDs were more like an SLD in that they could put in *
records and such,
and the 7 "new" TLDs and gTLDs (ok, all non-ccTLDs) were more like operating
on
behalf of ICANN/USG, and couldn't just do whatever they wanted with DNS and
the TLD,
like SLD registrants in the .com TLD could do, for example.

Paul