[registrars] Regarding introducing registry services

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Wed Nov 5 00:41:11 UTC 2003

Michael,

Yes, it is obvious there are shades of gray among TLDs, but
Bruce was asking a black-white question, was/is the intent: A or B.
It just seems to me that the intent was (I don't know about "is")
for those TLDs to provide a service for a price (not SLD-like) even if
the resulting contract does not have DoC signature at the bottom.
Heck, why have that whole process we had (specifying the registry services,
prices, etc)
if that wasn't the intent?  If it was otherwise, why not, back then, just
have the applicants name the TLD, show they can pass some
registry "bar", and pay a fee (auction or fixed).

That's why Bruce's question is a good one:
What was the intent?, but also,
what is the current intent?
Provide a service (or service set) for a fee or
be delegated the TLD and have at it.

Paul