[registrars] Regarding introducing registry services

elliot noss enoss at tucows.com
Wed Nov 5 14:11:29 UTC 2003

I have read these contracts, especially the .com agreement, many times
over the past couple years (I know, I know, I should get a hobby) and to
me this issue has always been clear on its face. This is a
fee-for-service contract.

I have raised this in numerous public forums and am thrilled to see
Bruce formally putting it on the table. I believe it is the elephant in
the room and we need to make this the first (second and third) issue
that is dealt with when discussing registry services.

We need be very careful that we have the discussion "should new registry
services be introduced" rather than "how should new registry services be
introduced". I have seen the registries cleverly moving the discussion
to the latter which subsumes the former. We need deal with these issues
sequentially.

To Tim and Paul (who are clearly fighting the good fight in their posts)
I caution you (and remember we have our discussions publically which is
a HUGE advantage to those opposed to our positions) lets not negotiate
with ourselves. Lets agree that we feel these are fee-for-service
contracts and lets let ICANN and the registries try and demonstrate
otherwise. Full stop. Otherwise they will deal with the points you raise
individually, not the meta-point, and their task will be easier.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

--
Elliot Noss