[registrars] Task Force Nomination

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Wed Nov 5 18:59:18 UTC 2003

Fellow registrars,

Thank you for those seconds and endorsements.

Position statement:
I see both sides of the mining issue
and many of the issues around whois are interrelated.
For example, ICANN limits (allows) registrars to charge up
to $10K to anyone who wants to "mine" registrars' whois, but you can
also say that that allows other companies to provide
value-add services, for example, to the IP and law
enforcement communities.
I believe simple innovative technology approaches can help solve
some of the whois issues, including data mining.
I will represent the constituency's views and not just my own
and look forward, if elected, to everyone's suggestions,
comments and participation.
There has been a ton of policy development during ICANN 1.0 and
now 2.0, some pro-registrar, and a lot, IMO, not-so-pro registrar.
I am looking forward to this time helping all us registrars move forward
together as one force on the whois policy development front.

I was elected as one of 3 reps to the ICANN budget committee,
but since the budget was passed recently, that is not taking any of
my time currently, and since I am not elected to any other
registrar constituency duties, I do have some time to devote
to this whois TF.

Conflicts statement:
I am the CEO of eNom. Neither eNom nor I is in possession of,
nor do we have access to Registry Sensitive or Registry Proprietary
information as defined by any relevant registry operating contracts.
eNom is not an Afilias shareholder.  eNom does host other
ICANN accredited registrars whereby those other registrars and eNom
share the same back-end systems, including whois.
eNom is planning on launching a whois privacy protection service
similar in some ways to other registrar's services.

I also agree in choice in elections and would
like to endorse/second Ross's nomination
(yes, in opposition to myself.  How's that for conflict statement?).
I think he could do a good job too.

Paul