[registrars] Deleted domains captured and pointed to web sites of questionable content

Robert F. Connelly rconnell at psi-japan.com
Sun Nov 16 21:52:05 UTC 2003

Dear Registrars:  The following is being re-posted for Ben
Edelman.  Regards, BobC

Bob,

You asked on the registrars' list about deleted domains being sent to web
sites with "questionable" content.  I've written a couple articles about
this --

   Domains Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content:
   A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam"
   <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/renewals>

   Large-Scale Intentional Invalid WHOIS Data:
   A Case Study of "NicGod Productions" / "Domains For Sale"
   <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/invalid-whois>

Also, about domains that are typographical variations on well-known domains
-- not always deleted domains, though sometimes --

   Large-Scale Registration of Domains with Typographical Errors
   <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/typo-domains>

I'd post this to the registrars list -- but as I'm not a registrar, I can't!

Regards,

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School