[registrars] .info and .org increase our float to them even more

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Tue Oct 14 17:13:16 UTC 2003

Fellow registrars,

I found out that Afilias keeps our money for 30 days even after we delete
names.
This is unlike Verisign who refunds the auto-renew registration fee
immediately upon delete.
With Afilias we have no opportunity whatsoever to not pay the extra 30 days
because
even if we delete the name immediately upon expiration, they still keep the
money for 30 days.
And we can't, of course delete names before they expire because our
registrant's have paid for a year, not something less.
It is of particular interest now since it has been 2 years since .info went
live and those
initial names are coming up for renewal this month.

And this was not the case with .org before Afilias took it over.
So registrars, if you see your Afilias balance decreasing faster than you
thought, this is the reason.
Many registrars would like for Verisign and all registrars to not keep our
money during the
45-day grace period, and to charge us only if and when the name is
explicitly renewed,
so many registrars are attempting to get Verisign and the rest to switch to
auto-delete.
But Afilias, what you are doing is making the situation even worse.
It's a step backwards.
Now, if registrars wait till the end of the auto-renew grace period to
delete,
Afilias keeps our money for a total of 80 days.

PIR, did you authorize this policy and pricing change for .org?
Because it was not this way before Afilias got ahold of it.
PIR, I thought you were non-profit.  Different.
Not, "hey, lets slap an even bigger cash-flow issue on the registrars,
while we make a few dollars from the float.  Whooaaa hahaha (evil laugh)"
Verisign isn't even doing it for chrissake.

Paul