[registrars] Fw: BOUNCE registrars at gnso.icann.org: Non-member submission from ["Robert Andrews" <randrews at aol.net>]

Rick Wesson wessorh at ar.com
Tue Oct 14 21:48:42 UTC 2003

This message from Robert Andrews bounced, i am forwarding it to the list...

-rick

From: "Robert Andrews" <randrews at aol.net>
To: <registrars at boardrooms.org>
Cc: <registrars at dnso.org>
Subject: RE: ICANN Fees Continued
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:24:44 -0400

Basic business principles dictate a rise in rates.  The Registries are
service organizations.  Suppose ICANN raises the fees that Registries have
to pay.  Do you think they are just going to reach into their pockets and
pay(according to my last ICANN invoice) $3,768,518 a year to cover the
current registrar fees and not look to charge someone for it? ICANN wants to
double this number to $7.5 million+.  The Public Interest Registry (.org) is
a non-profit. They will have to raise their fees or they will require
outside funding.  No way to run a self sustaining .org!

The registration fee is $6 and $5.75 because the system is set up to allow
registrars to sell the names for a profit and subsequently generate enough
money to also provide funding ICANN. $6 and $5.75 are cost basis pricing for
the registries.  The registries will certainly demand an increase in
registration price.

>>Who says it is a guarantee that the fees will be passed on to us by the
registries?
Common sense says that this will occur.

>>I feel that we have far greater leverage with the registries than we do
with ICANN.
Yeah, Verisign really listened to you about the site finder service.  ICANN
asked the registrars for their opinion and then forced the registrars
opinion upon Verisign. I see that you voted on the TLD Wildcards ballot and
your voice was heard by ICANN.

>>There also seems to be more profit being collected by the registries than
the registrars on average.
Public Interest Registry is a non-profit.  Verisign has a registry division
separate from the registrar division.   If they have any profit in the
registry division, they would be severely hit by the .com and .net fees of
$3.47 million or $6.94 million after the increase.