[registrars] ICANN fees

Tom D'Alleva tdalleva at bulkregister.com
Wed Oct 15 12:58:23 UTC 2003

I would like to raise the issue again about allowing registrars to break out
the ICANN fee when registering domains.  I believe the benefits to all
parties outweigh any of the concerns.

Concerns
1. loss of control - it is a partial illusion that registrars have any
control.
2. Consumers dealing directly with ICANN instead of going to their registrar
first.

Benefits
1. Provides a mechanism to pass on ICANN budget increases in a simple and
consistent manner without registrars having to figure out how to bury or eat
these costs.  This is especially useful for smaller registrars who have
limited margins in their prices.
2. Allows consumers to know and better understand where their money is
going.  Consumers will directly complain about issues to ICANN which will
lower support costs and potentially improve customer satisfaction.
3. Gives ICANN greater flexibility in raising funds while increasing
accountability to both registrars and consumers.
4. Continues to give registrar limited control in the funding process.