[registrars] RE: Acceptable Delivery Method (Fourth Draft of GAINING registrar form for transfers)

Thomas Keller tom at schlund.de
Tue Oct 21 08:48:15 UTC 2003

Larry I understand you reason, but how do you want to proof
the legitimacy of a transfer if you don't have anything
on file? To put it differently I guess you (and your customer)
would loose every dispute, appeal etc. if you are not able to
show any facts.

Best,

tom

Am 17.10.2003 schrieb Larry Erlich:
> Legally you are correct. But
> I think it goes against basic business practice
> to require a customer who you have an existing
> relationship with to have to always fax something because it might
> be needed after the fact for a dispute.
>
> The only protection should be for the gaining registrar who may need to feel
> confident that the customer won't say they didn't
> approve of the transfer for some reason. If they trust the customer at
> their word, they should be able to, at their own risk,
> not require written backup.
>
> This is really no different
> then when you might call your favorite wholesaler
> and say "Give me 3dz widgets and bill to the
> credit card you have on file." It happens everyday
> all over the country.  There is nothing to prevent the
> "widget-orderer" from denying after the fact that
> they placed the widget order. It is the word of one
> person against the another if there is no written
> backup. The way a large registrar
> might want to design their system for these things,
> because of the quality and training of their CS
> staff, is not going to be the same as a small registrar.
>
> Larry Erlich
>
> Elana Broitman wrote:
> >
> > even in the case of an existing relationship, I think you'll need written proof if there is any dispute later.
> > as for fax #, you don't need it in the whois - presumably the gaining registrar can get that directly from the registrant, as long as the registrant or admin c
> >
> > Elana Broitman
> > Register.com
> > 575 Eighth Avenue
> > New York, NY 10018
> > Phone (212) 798-9215
> > Fax   (212) 629-9309
> > ebroitman at register.com

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w