[registrars] terms of reference for task force on data mining

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Oct 23 22:43:37 UTC 2003

Hello Elana and Tom,

> Bruce- the Council has outlined a good approach.  I want to
> support, however, the comments of Tom and others raising
> concerns that we don't approach Port 43 with a presumption of
> leaving a large loop hole for mining of Port43 data.
>
> In that regard, I believe that your first milestone/task of
> collecting requirements from non-marketing users will need
> more information than had been seen to date.  I hope much of
> that can also be gathered at the Carthage workshop, but you
> would probably need to also survey non-marketing users.  For
> example, it is not at all clear which types of entities go to
> Port 43, how regularly, and why they need bulk access, rather
> than web-based.  It is also not clear what other less
> intrusive avenues they may have to get the same data.

Agreed.

It would be very useful at this stage to frame the questions that need
further research (particularly with regard to assigning research tasks
to ICANN staff).

I hope you will be able to raise these issues during the WHOIS workshop.

One of the topics of the workshop is to determine how the current data
elements are used.

I will be able to give a full update on the approach at the registrars
constituency meeting in Carthage.

Regards,
Bruce