[registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Tue Sep 16 15:13:26 UTC 2003

On 9/16/2003 11:00 AM Michael D. Palage noted that:

> Ross,
>
> Thanks for the answers. I do not know about the questions being "loaded" but
> they were meant to be tough questions (for both sides of the argument) that
> would provide the quickest means of getting to the core issues.

I should have been clearer about that remark. I mean "loaded" in the
sense that there seems to be a presumption that the service is desirable
and places the onus on the community to demonstrate why this is a bad
thing. Verisign is the one that needs to demonstrate why this is
desirable and how the benefits to the community will exceed currently
accepted practices resolvers.

I don't think they can. Even if I am wrong and there are benefits to
doing things this way, it is simply not right to allow a corporation to
throw away 20 years of DNS best practices because they feel like it. I
want to be convinced, or I want it to go away.

--

                        -rwr