[registrars] Verisign change to operation of the .com DNS lookup service

elliot noss enoss at tucows.com
Tue Sep 16 17:41:16 UTC 2003

I would frame the core question a little differently. For me it is
something like "what is the contractual nature of the registry
agreement?". IOW is it a contract for a fee to preform a service, or is
it a broad delegation of the rights and benefits associated with a TLD?

This is the question that, IMHO, ICANN has been afraid to answer and I
think here Verisign was silly enough to force them to. Boy if I was
interested in the re-bid of .com or .net I would be licking my lips
right about now.

To be clear, I am not putting this question to you to be answered Mike.
I appreciate you would be ill advised to do so publically.

Regards