[registrars] sitefinder case in point

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Fri Sep 19 00:38:58 UTC 2003

This note is to illustrate one problem for registrars with Verisign's
wildcard.

The wildcard changes the result of the "registrar hold" RRP command.

VLCN (a famous and very large company's name) initiated a dispute over
"xVLCN.com" resulting in
eNom placing the name on registrar hold.
This rendered the domain inactive as it took it out of the .com zone file.

Today we received this note from VLCN's legal council:

"Thank you for your prompt response to our letter concerning the
domain name xVLCN.com.  You indicated that you had  placed
the domain under "Register Hold" to prevent the domain name from
resolving to an IP number.  Today, if you type in the URL you
are brought to a page saying there is no website at the address.
However, the URL resolves to an interactive web page  allowing
Internet users to search the web.
Please advise as to whether this page will be taken down as well."

We've explained to VLCN's attorneys that Verisign is the cause of their
problem
and have asked VLCN to voice their objection to Verisign.

How many names were (are?) on hold but now resolve?
I would guess that many of us will be having to deal
with this many times over, at no small cost.