[registrars] FYI: IAB Architectural statement on the use of wildcards in the DNS

Mike Lampson lampson at iaregistry.com
Tue Sep 23 14:18:29 UTC 2003

SECSAC has also released a statement:

  http://www.icann.org/correspondence/secsac-to-board-22sep03.htm

They are continuing to gather information and are planning a public meeting
in Washington, DC on October 7th.  Follow the link above for more details.

Their preliminary recommendations are as follows:

---

RECOMMENDATIONS

Recognizing the concerns about the wildcard service, we call on VeriSign to
voluntarily suspend the service and participate in the various review
processes now underway.

We call on ICANN to examine the procedures for changes in service, including
provisions to protect users from abrupt changes in service.

We call on the IAB, the IETF, and the operational community to examine the
specifications for the domain name system and consider whether additional
specifications could improve the stability of the overall system. Most
urgently, we ask for definitive recommendations regarding the use and
operation of wildcard DNS names in TLDs and the root domain, so that actions
and expectations can become universal. With respect to the broader
architectural issues, we call on the technical community to clarify the role
of error responses and on the separation of architectural layers,
particularly and their interaction with security and stability.

---