[registrars] Draft for TF2

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Fri Apr 9 17:16:37 UTC 2004

>From what I understand the EU registrars can put some language in their
registration agreement that registrants agree to move their information to
non-EU registrars provided the non-EU registrars abide by ICANN's whois and
transfer policies, regardless whether such non-EU registrars are in a
jurisdiction which complies with the EU privacy directive.  This is
something that ICANN could require of all registrars, including
EU-registrars.  The alternative is for non-EU registrars and anyone who
wants to get the whois (such as IP firms), to follow a burdensome process
for obtaining consent from the registrant.

Paul

Follows is a comment from eNom's GC (not legal advice, get your own):

Generally, the EU outright prohibits transfers of personal data to a country
which does not meet the minimum protections required by the EU. (Directive
95/46/EC of the European Parliament, Chapter IV, Article 25) There are
exceptions (a) through (f), Article 26, but complying with these are NOT a
mere formality.  Organizations can certify themselves as a "safe harbor"
through the US Department of Commerce, though the requirements are similar
to the exceptions (a) through (f). Certain of exceptions (a) through (f)
would allow ICANN to impose contract language on registrars and, through
them, on registrants which would obviate some of the burdens which might
otherwise exist. See following.

(a) the data subject has given his consent unambiguously to the proposed
transfer;

TO UNAMBIGUOUSLY CONSENT:

	There must be a statement explaining how the information is going to
be used by the gaining registrar, including opt-out options (if any). This
includes an explanation of the gaining registrar's marketing practices,
manditory opt-out options, and an explanation of data retention policy
(including that the gaining registrar will not delete the WHOIS information
if the registrant transfers away from the gaining registrar, as I assume
that most of us will keep historic WHOIS data).
	There must be a statement explaining what third parties will be
given access to the personal data and opt-out options.
	There must be a statement explaining the known risks of potential
disclosure to third parties.

	-- OR --

(b) the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract between the
data subject and the controller or the implementation of precontractual
measures taken in response to the data subject's request;

THIS IS WHERE ICANN COULD REQUIRE THAT EU REGISTRARS HAVE THEIR CUSTOMERS
CONTRACTUALLY AGREE TO TRANSFER WHOIS INFORMATION TO NON-EU REGISTRARS
PROVIDED THE NON-EU REGISTRARS ABIDE BY ICANN'S WHOIS AND TRANSFER POLICIES.
This would obviate the burden of exception (a) or the requirement that
non-EU registrars register themselves as a "safe harbor" with the DOC.

	-- OR --

(c) the transfer is necessary for the conclusion or performance of a
contract concluded in the interest of the data subject between the
controller and a third party;

	The "controller" is the EU Registrar.  The contract with a third
party would be the registrar's contract with ICANN.  This is another
instance in which ICANN could require that EU Registrars have their
customers agree to transfer to non-EU registrars provided the non-EU
registrars abide by ICANN's WHOIS and transfer policies.

	-- OR --

(d) the transfer is necessary or legally required on important public
interest grounds, or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal
claims; or
(e) the transfer is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the
data subject; or

	These do not apply.

(f) the transfer is made from a register which according to laws or
regulations is intended to provide information to the public and which is
open to consultation either by the public in general or by any person who
can demonstrate legitimate interest, to the extent that the conditions laid
down in law for consultation are fulfilled in the particular case.

	This might apply, but depends on the WHOIS policies and whether the
conditions for accessing the WHOIS comply with "the conditions laid down in
law for consultation."