[registrars] Revised draft for TF2

Cute, Brian A. bcute at networksolutions.com
Tue Apr 13 20:44:44 UTC 2004

Paul,

The RAA already contains the obligation to obtain consent that you suggest is the answer to this problem:

"3.7.7 Registrar shall require all Registered Name Holders to enter into an electronic or paper registration agreement with Registrar including at least the following provisions:

						.		.		.

3.7.7.4 Registrar shall provide notice to each new or renewed Registered Name Holder stating:

3.7.7.4.1 The purposes for which any Personal Data collected from the applicant are intended;

3.7.7.4.2 The intended recipients or categories of recipients of the data (including the Registry Operator and others who will receive the data from Registry Operator);

3.7.7.4.3 Which data are obligatory and which data, if any, are voluntary; and

3.7.7.4.4 How the Registered Name Holder or data subject can access and, if necessary, rectify the data held about them.

3.7.7.5 The Registered Name Holder shall consent to the data processing referred to in Subsection 3.7.7.4."

This is important for a couple of reasons:  1) what happens if a registrant refuses consent to registrar #1 because they are not comfortable with the stated purpose and subsequent use of their data?  2) what if that registrant registers with a registrar that requests consent for a narrower purpose and subsequent use because that registrar is complying with stricter local laws than registrar #1?  Isn't that a competition issue?

This scenario WILL play itself out.  Put the legal arguments aside for a moment.  Individuals from non U.S. countries have, in many cases, an extremely high awareness of their privacy rights under national law and WILL gravitate to service providers who offer them what THEY deem to be the requisite level of data protection.  The only way to rectify this competition issue is for registrar #1 to provide the requisite level of data protection expected by the registrant under the registrant's local law.  Unless registrar #1 can provide the requisite level of data protection, it cannot compete for this customer.  Moreover, the suggestion that a registrar that complies with its local law should lose its accreditation runs directly counter to 3.7.2 of the RAA:

"3.7.2 Registrar shall abide by applicable laws and governmental regulations."

One of ICANN's obligations under the RAA is to "[2.3.2] not unreasonably restrain competition and, to the extent feasible, promote and encourage robust competition;"

Although there appears to be a difference of opinion as to whether the EU directive renders current whois or bulk whois practices 100% illegal or nearly 100% illegal, that is ultimately a question for the 15 EU Member State courts and I would suggest that registrars keep their own counsel on such questions.  At a minimum, certain EU based registrars, apparently acting on advice of local counsel, have taken a position on these issues.

What many multinational companies do when faced with a patchwork of legal obligations -- as a matter of compliance and internal administrative efficiencies -- is determine which jurisdiction "sets the bar the highest" and then conform to that standard.  In that manner, there is certainty of compliance with every jurisdiction in which it operates.  This is a common sense approach.  Advocating contract changes that will perpetuate the explicit contradictions and tensions in the RAA is not a common sense approach.

Brian