[registrars] Revised draft for TF2

Thomas Keller tom at schlund.de
Wed Apr 14 08:44:57 UTC 2004

Am 13.04.2004 schrieb Elana Broitman:
> I believe that for this document we should not get into further requirements for disclosure to registrant.  As several have pointed out, it is already in the RAA and is not germane to being able to provide input to the TF, which is the primary goal.
>
> I also support the idea of softening the language regarding bulk whois.  There is legal opinion on both sides of the question of its legality.  It is best posed as an issue of concern to registrars because of the legal interpretation provided by authorities such as George.  After all, this is simply a registrar statement of input to the TF.  Our reasoning behind can fairly raise issues, rather than state conclusions that some will debate.

let me be very straight forward on this,I don't see why we should soften the
language regarding this point. If you have read the IPC statement for TF2 you will
see that they even demand more than the they currently get out of whois. This is not only unreasonable but even ignores all the factfinding and data collection that
has been done over the last month. One part that came out of this data collection
efford is the statement of a EU offical in regard to bulk whois. If we disregard
this offical statement as a legal opinion the question I would like to ask is what
do we considere as fact if not an offical statement. I once again want to remind
you of what George has said on his last presentation and has been the offical EU
statement in all responses to whois over the last years.

	Slide 11

	Bulkwhois

	No, this is a disproportionate privacy infringing step; unless a
	very convincing, specific case may be made which has to be followed
	by due process.

Since this document will be the starting point for a discussion we should start
out with what we  want to get and  why we think it is necessary this way and not
a soft version. The people opposing the deletion of the Bulkwhois obligation want
like it either way.

By the way the only other opinions I'm aware of is the one of US IP attorneys which
hardly have the offical character as Georgs presentation.

> Tom - I don't understand the intent behind the statement about IETF, "The term standard in this case is not only referring to the data fields that must be displayed if there is no contradicting local legislation but also to the format such data fields must have if they exist. Having said this it must be mentioned that the way the format is defined should not be part of an ICANN process but be left to the technical involved parties or technical standardization bodies like IETF."  IETF does not like to involve itself in policy decisions and it seems to me that some of the format decisions involve policy?

I don't view the standardisation of once decided upon fields as policy.
For example if we would decide through the PDP that whois in tier 1 must
have the fields Name and Country it should be left to a standard body or
involved parties like Registrars to determine how the format i.e. XML
to display these fields in a uniform fashion should look like. In other
words once we made the policy the technical implementation should not
be done by a PDP.

I hope that helped

> Also please see 3.6 - I think you meant to say email address of "admin contact" not registrant.

Yes, your right. I will correct it.

> thanks for the hard work Tom!
>
> Elana Broitman
> Register.com
> 575 Eighth Avenue
> New York, NY 10018
> Phone (212) 798-9215
> > EFax  (800) 886-2716
> Fax   (212) 629-9309
> ebroitman at register.com

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\	A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w