[registrars] gTLD Registry Maintenance Notices

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Sun Apr 25 17:53:09 UTC 2004

On 4/25/2004 3:40 PM Larry Erlich noted that:

>>I'd personally like to see the Registries move away from email for
>>important administrative notices like the ones that you describe. Some
>>sort of standardized XML syndication format like RSS or RDF would seem
>>to make the most sense. It might even make sense to offer notifications
>>like this in parallel with email on a trial basis to start.
>

> We are happy with the current email based system.
>
> Any future system should keep the legacy
> email system running in parallel permanently with individual
> registrars having the option of being removed from the email
> notifications.

Email is a great low-volume, low-reliability, no-scale notification
system. I wouldn't advocate abandoning it entirely, but the registries
should be working to provide registrars with more stable, more efficient
and more reliable services in order to ensure that they can serve our
businesses as they grow. As I mentioned, maintaining something in
parallel or running a trial is probably the best approach - at least to
start.

It really is time that the registries provide registrars with a complete
quality of service guarantee rather than relying on best efforts
messaging technologies like email for notices and messages that are so
important to each of our businesses.

--

                        -rwr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
                         - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org