[registrars] [Fwd: [dow3tf] TF3 - Best Practices Recommendations]

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Wed Apr 28 21:10:34 UTC 2004

On 4/28/2004 4:44 PM Tim Ruiz noted that:

> In item 3 has there been any discussion about how "substantially" improved
> is defined or measured? The last point in that section seems to indicate
> that each registrar will decide for themselves how it is measured.

There has been very little actual discussion on these points - in
fact, other than the email links I sent to you, the first discussion
the task force has had occurred this morning. The IPC would like to
make it easier to protect their trademarks and they would like
registrars to pay for it by assuming the obligations that currently
fall on registrants. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not
keen to assume these liabilities or costs.

I have strenuosly objected to the entire proposal and each point. A
revised draft has been circulated by our chair earlier today, but i
don't think that it is a document that we can support. I have been
asked to include the revised in the interim report of the TF(somehow
I've been appointed to be the editor of the document) but would
strongly prefer not to until some semblance of a discussion has been
had by the Task Force.

To your specific question, I have noted for the Task Force that this
point is inappropriate. Either a registrar is compliant with their
contracts or they are not. Creating a plan outlining how we hope to
become compliant with our contracts creates substantial liabilities
for registrars and should not be included as a policy recommendation
to the council.

--

                        -rwr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
						- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org