[registrars] Regarding membership list

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Tue Aug 31 22:14:49 UTC 2004

Evening Bruce,

Comments interlinear.

> > 1. Publish the list of registrars that you consider eligible
> > to vote in this election.
>
> A good idea.

I differ. Bob is one of four (now three) members of the ExCom.
The member of the ExCom responsible for acceptance of payment
by ICANN accredited registrars to join the RC is the treasurer,
not the secretary.

This revists the issues of who could vote at the WDC RC meeting,
and yes, it is unfortunate that we're still having to finesse a
working definition of "dues owed" and registrars "paid" and
"unpaid".

See also my comment on Bob's remark re: "phantom registrars", below.

> >From the bylaws at:
> http://www.icann-registrars.org/docs/gnso-rc-bylaws.doc
>
> "2.4. Publication of Membership - Contact details for each Member, and
> Registered Representatives shall be published on the Registrar
> Constituency web site. This publication will constitute the formal
> membership of the Constituency. Only Representatives listed in this
> publication will be able to vote or otherwise fully participate in the
> business of the Constituency unless the Member has appointed a new
> representative per Section 2.2 and 2.3 of these bylaws"
>
> There currently is not a list of members published on the constituency
> website
> (http://www.icann-registrars.org).

I asked Bob earlier today for a copy of the ByLaws. He mentioned that
I'd also need the "Rules".  I'd appreciate pointers to these if anyone
has these hand.

Somehow I'm not surprised there is no published list. The entire web
project (upgrade RC site) hasn't happened (yet).

> > 2. For those registrars not on the official list: outline the
> > specific criteria, process and deadline that needs to be
> > followed for them to become eligible to vote for this election.
>
> The criteria are clear: you must be an ICANN accredited registrar
>
> The process is less clear.
>
> I believe that there is currently a $750 joining fee and then an annual
> fee.
>
> I don't believe an annual fee has been charged since 2002.
>
> Here are some historical links to the postings on memberships that I
> could find:
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg03579.html
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc02/msg00355.html
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc02/msg00357.html
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc02/msg00595.html
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc02/msg00663.html
>
> Here is a treasurers report for 2002
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg03793.html

Off list I've suggested that the one attorney for a newly accredited
registrar who contacted me (God knows why me) offer a grand, with the
understanding that the slop will slosh into the correct bucket after
the budget vote. I never heard if Donna accepted the offer and booked
the payment and conditional refund or balance due.

I sent a query to the current ExCom before going on holiday (mostly
spent playing dodge the hurricanes) with no reply that I know of,
and asked essentially the same question to the ExCom yesterday.

Bob's reply is why letting Bob decide causes me some concern. He
wrote expressing a concern about "phantom registrars". Since ICANN
has accredited the registrars so characterized, and since there is
nothing in our ByLaws that speakes to the lack of standing of such
a registrar to join, or remain in, the RC, I'm certain that even
handed treatment in determining membership is prudent.

> One of the tasks for the registrars constituency is to agree a budget
> and fees structure.

I agree, but this can't be a barrier to newly accredited registrars
joining the RC, should they choose.

> I am in favour of an annual fee, as this helps keep our membership list
> current.  I am also in favour of the constituency including in the
> budget, funds for paying someone to manage this process and keep the
> membership list up-to-date and published on our official website.

Agree. We're going to pay in lost time anyway. Thanks for doing the
list search.

Eric