[registrars] Transfer policy

Paul Stahura stahura at enom.com
Mon Feb 9 23:27:33 UTC 2004

Since the fact that the lock is both a reason to deny and not a reason to
deny, I assume then that the dilemma would have to be resolved with the
ability of the registrant to remove the lock.  So, if the registrant is
given an easy/reasonable way to remove the lock, then the losing registrar
may (not must) deny the request if the name is on lock.  And if the
registrant is not given an easy/reasonable way to remove the lock, then a
name being on lock is not a reason for the losing registrar to deny a
transfer request.

I assume that the registry will act as they do now with names on lock (not
allow the request, which I believe is part of the RRP spec) until a
registrar is found to not provide an easy/reasonable way for registrants to
remove locks on their names?  The way it is written, I'd agree with Tim
(that it seems the Verisign registry would have to change some software
behavior since a losing registrar *may not* nack a transfer request when the
name is on lock)
I suppose the registry could move to EPP and make all this moot :>)

>From the document:

"The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following
specific instances:

A domain name is in lock status provided that the registrar provides a
readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to
remove the lock status.

Instances when the requested change of sponsoring Registrar may not be
denied include, but are not limited to:

Domain name in Registrar Lock Status, unless the Registered Name Holder is
provided with the reasonable opportunity and ability to unlock the domain
name prior to the Transfer Request."