[registrars] Congressional Hearing

Elana Broitman ebroitman at register.com
Wed Feb 11 21:50:34 UTC 2004

You all may remember Brian Cute's recent posting on last week's US Congressional hearing on Whois accuracy.  We believe that given the risk that the US Congress will use this hearing and the draft bill to also push for more unfunded requirements on registrars, it is critical to set the record straight.  Literally in the US legislative system, Congressional documents (records of hearings, etc.) influence how new laws and regulations are interpreted.  Therefore, we recommend that registrars submit for the hearing record the attached document that provides a view that the Congress did not hear last week - that new accuracy requirements can be expensive and that privacy is an equally important component of improving the Whois database.

Because the Congress keeps the record open for only a short time frame, we don't have time to take a vote, but would like to get the document signed by as many registrars as will respond by close of business on Thursday.

Thank you for your attention to this and please feel free to comment or send edits.

Best, Elana Broitman and Brian Cute
 <<submission to ip subcommittee march 4.doc>>