[registrars] Congressional Hearing

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Feb 13 17:58:38 UTC 2004

On 2/13/2004 12:47 PM Rick Wesson noted that:

> If I were to hand a registrar a list of domains that had invalid
> registrant data -- a long list. And those domains were never updated with
> correct information, would you advocate that the registrar must delete
> said domains?

Every day we stick dozens of letters in the mail as we work through
the Whois problem reports that ICANN sends us. The goal is to verify,
as a final resort, whether or not the mailing address for a particular
registrant is valid. Those registrants whose mail comes back as
undeliverable will typically lose their domain name. We have an entire
department that deals with these sorts of regulatory requirements.

So, if you question is: does Tucows intend to comply with its
registrar accreditation agreement and other relevant contracts, the
answer is an unqualified yes.

On the other hand, if your question is: "If I ran Fraudit against the
Whois database and gave you a list of domains with potentially
inaccurate information, would you do anything about it?" my response
would be quite different.

--

                        -rwr

                 "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions.
                                            All life is an experiment.
                             The more experiments you make the better."
						- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org