[registrars] Deletion of all IDN.org domains February 1st 2004:-(

Robert F. Connelly rconnell at psi-japan.com
Sat Jan 10 07:28:57 UTC 2004

Dear Registrars:

You may wish for me to take this thread to a separate list.

On or about 23 December 2003, PIR announced on their web site their
intention to delete all idn.org domains which were in the domains they
migrated from Verisign.  I am told that it was not announced in the form of
an Email to registrars.  I know that I was advised by telephone just before
Christmas.  The announcement says that PIR will delete all RACE encoded
.org domains -- bq--xxxxxxx.org -- on 1 February 2004.   Here is the URL:

         <http://www.pir.org/registrars/registrar_relations/announcements/index_html>http://www.pir.org/registrars/registrar_relations/announcements/index_html

The Registrars in Japan are justly concerned about such an eventuality.  A
concerted action by registrars is in the making.  Unfortunately, December
23rd was a holiday, the Emperor's Birthday, and the 26th was the last day
of business until 5 January.  It has taken a few days for the realization
to hit home, but hit it has, and hard!!!

I think I remember that Register.com, Tucows, perhaps eNom and other
registrars not domiciled in Japan also made registrations during the so
called "test bed" landrush starting 9 November 2000.  Was Netaka a
registrar at that time, also?  I think some of you also made registrations
in Korean and Traditional and Simplified Chinese.  All of these .org
domains are scheduled for the guillotine in 30 days;-(

Question:  Is this matter of sufficient general concern to the Consistency
to vet the issue on this List? Or should we create a separate list?

Regards, BobC, speaking with my PSI-Japan, Inc. hat on;-}

"It doesn't do any good to run
if you don't start on time!"