[registrars] .net thick/thin discussion

Jens Wagner jwagner at key-systems.net
Tue Jul 27 13:53:36 UTC 2004

Tim Ruiz schrieb:

>The fact that info and biz are cheaper has nothing to do with Whois or the
>thick/thin model.

I just wanted to clarify that it doesn't increase our costs.

>And the issues with privacy don't go away with thick. They only get more
>complicated because both the registry and the registrar maintain Whois data.
>While we can outsource, the RAA does not relieve the registrar from
>fulfilling its Whois requirements based on whether a registry is thick or
>thin, or what the privacy rules are in the home country of the registry.

I would see that as a reason to prefer thick registries; A local court
can force you (e.g. by preliminary injunction) to shut down your whois
service, but of course it cannot force you to shut down the registry's
whois service.
So a thick registry increases the legal stability for both registrars
and registrants, and ensures that whois related issues are handled on an
equal basis for all registrars!

  -  jens

--
Best regards,