[registrars] Re: Costing Business Continuity in the proposed budget

Robert F. Connelly rconnell at psi-japan.com
Tue Jun 8 12:45:57 UTC 2004

At 05:06 AM 6/8/2004, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
>During the conference call last week I realized we'd a second means to
>approach this problem. In the first call I asked the ICANN staffer on
>the call for the cost of the Business Continuity Plan (BCP) after he
>woke me up by mentioning that it -- the BCP -- was a major cost what
>with all the hardware and software and yata yata. His reply was that it
>was big, but because it was spread out over several line items, that he
>could not put a price tag on Business Continuity in the ICANN budget.

Dear Eric:  Another interesting point was developed in the teleconf, sorry
you were unable to attend.

DOC is requiring ICANN to put Jon Postel's paper IANA records into
electronic format and make them available from multiple sources.  Not all
of them are not even in ICANN's hands at this time.  I believe Kurt said a
significant portion are in Jon's "Estate" at USC;-}

Jon's work was paid for or subsidized by ARPA.  DOC took over from
ARPA.  Thus, it appears that DOC is attempting to dump upon ICANN an issue
which was probably unclear to ICANN when it was slid under the door or
tossed over the transom -- and ICANN is loading it upon registrars.

Regards, BobC