[registrars] FW: Registry-Registrar discussions

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Jun 11 00:40:21 UTC 2004

On 6/10/2004 2:03 PM Elana Broitman noted that:
> Com/net are not contractually required to transition. Therefore, they
> are not part of a formal statement (below). The registry has indicated,
> however, their intent to transition at a later date in 2005.

I think there was reasonable support from the membership to delay all
transitions until Verisign had completed their transition in order to
avoid policy inconsistencies with the smaller registries EPP
implementations as much as possible. I'm not sure I see any reasons why
the smaller registries should rush when in fact it was them that
hastened the implementation of EPP quite significantly. In fact, I would
even go so far as to characterize this "delay" as being a reward of
sorts and give them a chance to focus on other things instead of
undertaking the formality of upgrading to EPP 1.0.

All in all, I am in favor of a delay for the current crop of EPP capable
registries - just much longer than what they are currently asking for.

	-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one
indispensable condition for social progress."
	- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)