[registrars] ICANN budget.

Larry Erlich erlich at domainregistry.com
Wed May 26 16:54:45 UTC 2004

Rick Wesson wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> >A large transaction fee penalises registrars with many names.
> >
> >Every registrar paying the same fee would be fair too and would meet
> >your criteria no.1. It would however make it difficult for small registrars.
> >
> >The key is to find a reasonable balance between the two extremes.
> >

> At issue is the fact that ICANN as the "technical administrator" will
> soon need to review all registrars financial to determine who falls on
> which side of the balance point. ICANN currently has no facility for the
> tax payers to challenge their determination, if you happen to disagree
> with ICANN their assessment.
>
> Furthermore, learning today that the budget was circulated among the top
> 10 registrars

I thought Kurt said 15 but I also was upset that
this happened. This sounds like a "what is it going to take
to get you guys onboard" outreach.

> certinaly does not create an aura of an "open and
> transparent" budget process.

It is surprising that he did not get response from
all the 15 registrars. I wonder what the email that
he sent looked like to be ignored by what appeared to
be several registrars.

Larry Erlich