[registrars] thoughts for conference today

Elana Broitman ebroitman at register.com
Wed May 26 16:27:01 UTC 2004

I would love to see lower overall costs.    Unfortunately, I don't think that self-policing is the answer.  We tried to pass best practices almost 4 years ago, and they are not really used.  That was a first step in self-policing.  Moreover, as Rick humorously alludes, which of us will submit to competitors' "policing"?

That said, there are clearly other ICANN costs that can be handled off-budget, or at least in the discretionary category.

For example, why shouldn't participants pay for meetings.  ICANN proposed a 2.4mm budget for travel and meetings. Direct participation fees can alleviate some part of that.    Let's face it - ICANN locates its meetings in far-flung locations, so that most of us are paying high air fare, and all of us are paying non inconsiderable amounts for hotel, per diem, etc.  Therefore a fee of about $500/person should not be a burden or prevent someone from attending.  Plus, remote "attendance" - though far from perfect - is free and already occurs.

One of the important side benefits - in addition to potentially taking $1-1.5mm off the top (and off the $3.8mm that ICANN is trying to find from the set registrar fees) - is that all ICANN participants pay.  So, the companies and other attendees, all of whom play a role in determining policies that we are bound to by contract, effectively become payers into ICANN.  I've heard the complaint from ICANN that they don't have an effective way to charge non-contracted parties.  This would be a way.

Elana Broitman
Register.com
575 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018