[registrars] Proliferation of registrar locks

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Nov 12 21:06:33 UTC 2004

On 12/11/2004 3:52 PM Nikolaj Nyholm noted that;
| Ross,
|
| You can't seriously claim that the transfer policy is not open to misuse.

I'm not making that claim. If pressed, I would make the claim that this
policy is a far sight better than what we had yesterday.

| Stating that "the Registered Name Holder [must be] provided with the
| reasonable opportunity and ability to unlock the domain name prior to the
| Transfer Request", is *not* very clear.

What is unclear about it? This is the same question I asked Paul.

| As I remember it, (losing) Registrars have previously successfully argued
| that requiring a fax with a copy of incorporation documents and/or
driver's
| license is a "reasonable opportunity and ability" to authorize a
transfer.

Authorizing a transfer and unlocking a domain name are two different
things. I don't remember the argument you refer to, but insofar as this
policy is concerned, if the gaining registrar is in possession of a
valid FOA that's backed up by those documents, then yes - it would be
appropriate to consider the transfer request as being "authentic"...but
there is no notion of "reasonable opportunity and ability" as far as
authorizing transfer requests go. Either they are, or they are not - and
in all cases, without fail, the gaining registrar must receive
authorization from the registrant prior to initiating the request.

| C'mon Ross, we can do better.

Surely we can, but at the same time, lets not fall prey to the now
mythical misunderstanding of this new policy. The community seems to
completely ignore the fact that there is old policy that this new policy
is replacing - and that this new policy closes many of the old loopholes
and insecurities of the old policy. This new policy is simply an
evolution of the policies we've been using for the last five years.
- --

~                       -rwr

Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
Skydasher: A great way to start your day
My weblog: http://www.byte.org