[registrars] drop pool registrars

Mike Lampson lampson at iaregistry.com
Tue Oct 5 17:50:09 UTC 2004

Rick,

I agree with your conclusions.  However I believe it will happen much
sooner.

1) The 2005 budget went into effect on July 1, 2004.  Your $0.25 per
transaction invoice for last quarter should be arriving from ICANN this
month.

2) On March 31st of this year, there were 168 Registrars that had registered
domains in at least 1 gTLD.

3) On July 27th, VeriSign cut the batch pool connections from 30 to 20 per
Registrar.

4) On August 20th, VeriSign cut the batch pool connections from 20 to 10 per
Registrar.

5) In July and August of this year, 136 new Registrars were accredited by
ICANN.

6) At the same time, VeriSign was only able to activate 58 new Registrars.

7) On September 10th (the last time I checked), there were 331 Registrars
active with VeriSign.  (Some may not have started registering domains yet.)

8) I speculate that as of September 10th, there were approximately 110+
Registrars waiting in the VeriSign queue to be activated.

9) On September 20th, VeriSign stated they hope to activate 5 to 10 new
Registrars per week.  Best case, this is an 11-12 week delay and who knows
how many new Registrars sent in paperwork in September.

10) As of October 1, there were 443 different IANA codes issued for
Registrars.  (Some may be for Registrars that are no longer in business, but
this should be a small fraction of the total.)

11) With the reduction in domains being dropped and the number of Registrars
fighting over the remaining dropped names, there is no long-term market for
the *individual* Registrar who focuses on low-volume, high-dollar domain
name sales.  Clearly the vast majority of these new Registrars are entities
intended to be "partners" with existing Registrars.

Others may have better numbers than I.   I typically only check these types
of statistics about once a quarter.

Cheers,

_Mike