[registrars] Verisign batch pool advisory

Tim Ruiz tim at godaddy.com
Wed Oct 6 11:57:34 UTC 2004

Bhavin,

I was on the road all last week myself. But my understanding is that either
1 or 2 *will* be implemented. With the backlog of new registrars VeriSign
needs to do something for the short term pretty quickly. Since for now,
these are going to be our only choices, I would prefer to see 1 implemented.

The reason is that I don't believe 2 will do anything to stop the tide of
*phantom* accreditations just for the purpose of using the batch pool. There
is too much money at stake for this option to be effective.

So while option 1 may not be ideal either, for now, it will make the
usefulness of the *phantom* registrars pretty much nil.

Also, with Network Solutions' and Tucows' intention to offer a secondary
market service to registrants with expiring/deleting names, far less
valuable names are going to actually hit the drop list anyway. So I think
the future value of the batch pool is going to change dramatically.

Tim