[registrars] Verisign batch pool advisory

Paul Goldstone paulg at domainit.com
Wed Oct 6 17:00:19 UTC 2004

Tim,

Why should we be forced to go with one of their two choices?  The only
solution to this supposed issue is that Verisign should invest the
positive revenue they earn from batch pool registrations into
expanding their capabilities like other businesses do when sales
increase.  Why should we help pay for registry obligations unless they
are also willing to help pay for registrar obligations?

It doesn't seem fair that they've been lowering the batch pool
connections at the same time as launching their own drop name service.

On a related note, did anyone notice the following ICANN announcement
from 9/21/04 on the "Expired Domain Deletion Policy"?:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/eddp.htm

The way I read it, except for registrant renewal or extenuating
circumstances as defined in 3.7.5.1 of the RRA, a registrar must
cancel a registration at the end of the auto-renew grace period.
ICANN basically expanded on the original ambiguous policy.  That might
ruffle a few feathers but it doesn't go into effect until 6/21/05
though.  Any idea why there's such a long lead time?

Regards,
~Paul