[registrars] EnCirca's response to Verisign

tbarrett tbarrett at encirca.biz
Fri Oct 8 00:44:01 UTC 2004

 Bruce,

I'm intrigued by your comments.  I would be interested in your ideas on what
areas of the RAA you consider to be over-regulated and what areas you
consider are over-regulated.  This would be a great way for registrars to
start discussing possible changes to the RAA with ICANN, Verisign and the
other gtld registries.

In terms of the current remedies proposed by Verisign, here is my response
to Verisign:

=================

From:
Thomas Barrett
President
EnCirca, Inc.
Reading, MA

To:
Rusty Lewis
Executive Vice President
VeriSign Naming and Directory Services

Re: Feedback on use of Batch Pool for Expired Domain Names

Dear Mr. Lewis,

This is EnCirca's response to your September 17, 2004 request for feedback
on remedies for managing issues related to the Verisign Batch Pool.

EnCirca was formed in December, 2001.  Our customer base consists of
trademark owners, small businesses and individuals.  Late in 2002, we
started to participate in the batch pool process, which we have outsourced
to one of the service providers in the industry.  As a smaller registrar,
participating in the batch pool provides both a new revenue stream as well
as a source of new customers.  This revenue stream also helps ensure EnCirca
keeps current with the introduction of new registry services.

We would urge Verisign to avoid implementing any new policies that provide
greater Batch Pool capacity to registrars based on their installed base of
domains or overall transaction volume with Verisign.  This would
disadvantage new and smaller registrars, the source of much new innovation
in the domain name industry.

Your proposed remedies would appear to violate one of Verisign's agreed-to
obligations in the RAA: That is, ensuring equal access to all registrars,
regardless of size or volume activity with the registry.

Furthermore, in paragraph 7 of your letter, you state that "we believe that
the kinds of abuses we are seeing are prohibited under various provisions of
the RRA. The RRA contains important restrictions, prohibitions and
limitations on Registrars' access and use the Shared Registration System,
Registry-Registrar Protocol and other VeriSign intellectual property rights
which preclude the kind of activity outlined above."

We appreciate Verisign's concern regarding the RAA.  It forms the basis of
the business relationship between Verisign-GRS and the Registrar community.
How Verisign reacts to this contractual breach is fundamental to the
long-term business relationship Verisign will have with its Registrars.

EnCirca would urge that Verisign immediately address the violations of the
RAA that it considers is the root cause of these problems.  Enforcing the
Registrar obligations in the RAA would lead to greater clarity on the mutual
obligations in the RAA.  It would also lead to desired and appropriate
Registrar business practices and strengthen Verisign's relationship with the
Registrar community, benefiting all parties involved.

While it addresses these RAA violations by Registrars, we would urge that
Verisign continue to honor its side of the RAA - in particular; continue to
be steadfast in ensuring and maintaining the equal access principle for all
registrars, regardless of size or volume activity with the registry.

Respectfully Yours,

Thomas Barrett
President
EnCirca, Inc.