[registrars] My comments - Verisign batch pool issue

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Tue Oct 12 18:11:01 UTC 2004

Jordyn,

As we discussed off-list a few weeks ago, I concur that:

	o it is unacceptable for new entrants into the registrar space
	  to simply dilute the resources available to (prior entrants)

	  This doesn't just apply to threads in the drop market.

	o the assumption that NSI and Tucows interests are the interests
	  of a third, or subsequent registrars, is unproved.

	o the model of "islands" or fractured dns is novel, and in the
	  abstract, is as surprising as deciding that names that begin
	  with "a" are allocated to the "aardvard et fils" registrar.

I also concur that:

	o add storms are not what a registry operator really wants, and
	  the vgrs experience wasn't wonderful,

	  and

	o the current growth in accreditations presents scaling issues,
	  not just in the ddos effect of add storms, but elsewhere in
	  the design assumptions of epp (and rrp and the registry-registrar
	  model).

Eric