[registrars] Proposed short term solution to registry contention

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Oct 13 00:27:47 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I didn't get much response on alternative solutions to resolve
contention for names at the registry.   Contention typically either
occurs when a new registry starts operation, or when a previously
registered name is made available for another entity to register.

The solution I proposed was based on auction, and I pointed out that the
more controversial debate will really be how to distribute the funds.

Here is a proposed way forward, that allows the debate on how to
allocate the funds to take a little longer.

(1) Registry implement auction mode for deleted names where there is
more than one registrar wishing to register the same name

(2) Auction funds to be placed in an escrow account that can only be
accessed with the agreement of ICANN and the registry.   The registry
would be permitted to take $6 for each registration transaction
(preserving their current registration revenue).  The costs of
implementing the auction system would likely be covered by the saving in
resources needed to support hundreds of registrars slamming the batch
pool.

(3) Registrars will be able to add their own margin onto any fee (base
or auction) paid to the registry as they do now

Regards,
Bruce