[registrars] Misuse of the ADD command

Robert F. Connelly BobC at awesome-goo.com
Sun Oct 31 17:02:19 UTC 2004

Dear Registrars:

I would like to report on the unauthorized use of our subnets by a player
in the delete pool.

On 20 October 2004, they captured the following thirteen domains in our
system.  All but one of them were subsequently cancelled.  Those ending in
545 are still unregistered. Those with 531 were apparently captured at a
later date by the registrar whose name appears after the RRP error code.

Only the last of the batch, shows an RRP code of 200 and is still in our
system.  Our only profit from the days effort and the thousands of ADD
commands sent to Verisign:

List deleted from this RC posting.

It appears that said firm has started playing the game of registering with
*no* client requesting the domains.  It was reported on the Registrars List
that some registrars are capturing deleted domains and checking to see if
there is enough web traffic on a given domain to make it marketable. If
not, they simply delete within the five day limit graciously provided by
Verisign, a serious misuse of the RRP cancel function.

Further, for every wasted capture, said firm has reduces the number of
successful registrations coming to their "partner" registrars, badly
eroding our profits.

This practice is in blatant disregard of the letter and spirit of our
contract and constitutes a fatal breach.

Regards, BobC