[registrars] Nominations for Chair.

Jordyn A. Buchanan jbuchanan at register.com
Wed Sep 1 18:50:54 UTC 2004

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jay.  Like Bhavin, I don't approach
the position with one or two or three specific agenda items, but I do
think that I can help the constituency be more productive and
effective.

Bhavin has already identified a number of specific issues that deserve
attention in the coming months.  I won't attempt a similar dump of ten
minutes' worth of thoughts because if nothing else it will prove that
Bhavin is apparently a much faster typist than me.  Instead of
grappling with specific issues, I'd like to suggest some changes to the
way that we approach issues that I believe will help us be a more
effective constituency regardless of the particular set of issues that
we turn our attention to at any given moment.

Most importantly, I think that we need to work on resolving
inter-registrar conflicts internally so that we can have a clear voice
when dealing with ICANN, with other constituencies, and with the world
at large.  There is often a perception from outside the constituency
that the registrars are divided  .  This allows other groups, who are
either effective at rallying around specific causes or basically follow
the lead of one or two people, to wield a disproportionate amount of
power within ICANN.  It is time for the constituency and its
representatives to be heard as the voice of the most important and
influential group within ICANN.

There are obviously topics on which it is hard to gain consensus, and
companies with different business models will often have strong
opinions that seem difficult to reconcile.  However, the penalty for
failing to find a solution within our own community is often that we
either have something imposed upon us or we are forced to develop a
consensus solution in conjunction with many outside parties.  If it is
difficult to devise a solution that makes everyone happy with all of
the registrars at the table, it is certainly no easier to do so when we
add seats for everyone within ICANN who wants to chime in.

This approach also relates to our interaction with various registries.
Too often, registries seem able to slide unfavorable changes into place
by finding a few registrars to go along with a change, thereby forcing
the rest of us to eventually follow along in the hopes of staying
competitive.  We should work together to prevent unfavorable changes
that effect all of us negatively.  One small example of this is the EPP
1.0 implementation group that was discussed in KL and that Eric posted
about recently.  This sort of dialogue is important, but is hopefully
just a start.  Ideally speaking, we could create the sort of
environment where registries reached out to registrars on a pro-active
basis as part of change control before any changes in operation are
initiated.

In addition to working together, we need to develop responses more
quickly.  We need to have better clarity and a streamlined process for
how constituency statements for task forces and other matters get
drafted, discussed and approved.  We should always allow ourselves
sufficient time to make sure that we can provide statements that
reflect the views of the entire constituency, but then we need to make
sure that we hold ourselves accountable to make sure that we deliver
those statements when they can do the most good.

I'm certain that others (both those running for Chair and the many
members of the consituency who are not) will have many additional
thoughts about how we can continue to improve the constituency.  Of
course, as several people have pointed out, all of these ideas depend
on a Chair with the time and capability to make them happen.  I believe
I have the track record as a leader and reformer to effectively serve
the constituency.  In the transition between the DNSO and the GNSO, I
argued forcefully for votes to be evenly allocated between the
contracted parties and the others in the GNSO.  I led an effort to
change the Names Council's rules to allow any member of the community
to chair a Task Force, instead of the usual suspects from the Council
who had controlled most of the previous Task Forces.  And I have
chaired two Task Forces myself, and in both cases we produced reports
that embodied real consensus and real change around difficult issues.

The most important lesson that I have taken away from my experiences in
ICANN so far, though, is that it is impossible for one person to
unilaterally bring about progress in a consensus-driven environment.
This means that you need to be part of a group that at least believes
in the same principles at the start of the process.  So I hope that if
people do choose to vote for me that they will do so with a clear
understanding of these goals and a commitment to moving forward
together.

(Sorry, that comes off a little cheesy, but it's true.  Regardless of
who ends up chairing the constituency, I hope we can work together to
tackle many of the worthy issues that have been discussed in recent
days, and I appreciate the opportunity to be considered as a Chair as
we move ahead.)

Jordyn