[registrars] Re: panix.com hijacked

Ross Wm. Rader ross at tucows.com
Sun Jan 16 16:23:45 UTC 2005

On 1/16/2005 11:18 AM Mark Jeftovic noted that:

> Have you had your coffee yet Ross?

Second cup! :)

> panix.com is pointing to
> 142.46.200.72 and the website says its a parked page on
> freeparking.co.uk and is delegated to nameservers ns1 and
> ns2.ukdnsservers.co.uk

Not from here...

> Panix.com looks to have been pretty obviously moved. However what
> is confusing is that the panix.net webpage seems to be "back to normal",
> that is the explanation that their .com has been hijacked is gone
> (it was there last night)

There was a ton of mindless conjecture...I have no doubt that something
has gone awry with the domain, but the NANOG traffic seemed pretty silly
for the most part...

> It could be pretty simple.
>
> 	A) Only available to domains who have transfered within the
> 	last N hours or X days.
>
> 	B) invoked by the losing Registrant directly who can supply
> 	bona-fides matching the previous version of the whois record
> 	and can launch the process directly with the Registry
>
> 	C) Has effect of rolling nameservers back and placing the
> 	domain under registry-lock status
>
> 	D) The TDRP (or something like it ) then kicks in.

These observations and comments should be submitted to the policy review
that's going on now...with an emphasis on where the current policy falls
short presuming that specifics of this and other related cases are
available. I'm not sure that its productive to proceed on a "it might be
a good idea if..." basis. I'm certain that it will be much easier to get
things done if we are proceeding on an "according to these [1|2|x]
instances, the policy isn't working and here's how we fix it..." basis...

	-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one
indispensable condition for social progress."
	- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)