[registrars] Re: [liaison6c] Public Comment period on Proposed Change to ICANN Bylaws Regarding the Number of GNSO Council Representatives.

Robert F. Connelly BobC at awesome-goo.com
Sun Mar 20 22:33:23 UTC 2005

At 01:56 PM 3/20/05, GNSO.SECRETARIAT at GNSO.ICANN.ORG wrote:
>The public Comment period has commenced on the Proposed Change to ICANN
>Bylaws Regarding the Number of GNSO Council Representatives.
>
>Proposed change to the ICANN Bylaws:
>
>Section 3. GNSO COUNCIL
>Subject to the provisions of the Transition Article of these Bylaws, the
>GNSO Council shall consist of three representatives selected by each of
>the Constituencies described in Section 5 of this Article, and three
>persons selected by the ICANN Nominating Committee. No two representatives
>selected by a Constituency shall be citizens of the same country or of
>countries located in the same Geographic Region.

Dear Glen:  I continue to play this old harp.  It is *more_important* that
the GNSO representatives by *residents_of* the *region* they represent than
to be *citizens_of* said region.

GAC stuck us with this anomaly years ago.  May we now request that each
representative be *both_citizen_of_and_resident_of* the region he or she
represents?

Regards, BobC

>  There may also be two liaisons to the GNSO Council, one appointed by
> each of the Governmental Advisory Committee and the At-Large Advisory
> Committee from time to time, who shall not be members of or entitled to
> vote on the GNSO Council, but otherwise shall be entitled to participate
> on equal footing with members of the GNSO Council. The appointing
> Advisory Committee shall designate its liaison (or revoke or change the
> designation of its liaison) on the GNSO Council by providing written
> notice to the Chair of the GNSO Council and to the ICANN Secretary. The
> GNSO Council may also have observers as described in paragraph 9 of this
> Section.
>
>The proposed change is to replace "two" with "three" and leave the article
>otherwise unchanged.

"Next to knowing when to seize an opportunity, the most important
thing in life is to know when to forego an advantage".

Disraeli