[registrars] Regarding transition to market forces

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Nov 23 03:17:24 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I find this question and answer interesting:

"Q: 1.2 Why is it appropriate for VeriSign to be allowed to raise its
prices by up to 7% per year?

A: 1.2 In order to provide for a transition to allowing market forces to
determine prices, ICANN and VeriSign agreed to relax the current price
cap, which has remained unchanged since ICANN came into existence, on a
graduated basis"

I would argue that if market forces were being applied then the price
should drop by at least 7% a year.

Thus I think it would be reasonable as part of a "transition" to market
forces that the maximum price should be DROPPING 7% per year.

I am not aware of market forces leading to an increase.  I certainly
haven't seen that amongst registrars where market forces do apply.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin