[registrars] Regarding transition to market forces

John Berryhill john at johnberryhill.com
Thu Nov 24 07:05:27 UTC 2005

>I am not aware of market forces leading to an increase.  I certainly
>haven't seen that amongst registrars where market forces do apply.

...which, Bruce, is precisely what is stated in the Q&A 1.4: "Prices have
dropped from US$50 per year for a .COM domain name to as low as under US$10
since ICANN introduced registry and registrar competition in 1999"

Uhmmm, gee, so in the competitive registrar market, prices dropped by a
factor of five, but "market forces" dictate a 7% per year increase
henceforth at the registry?  And this is despite the fact that .com is a
"thin" registry.  So here our anonymous ICANNite is basically saying that
the registrars maintain more data and provide more customer service than the
registry on margins of less than four dollars.

This is not a "Q&A", this is a case study in dissociative identity disorder.
One shudders to imagine the childhood trauma responsible for this
manifestation, but the author is in need of professional help before the
apparent inner tension leads to physical problems.

These are words intended to obfuscate, not illuminate.