[registrars] Regarding transition to market forces

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Thu Nov 24 16:07:40 UTC 2005

There's a difference between cost and price. I doubt that the actual
cost of your latte was actually less than the actual cost of a domain
name. At a general level, increased costs eventually lead to higher
prices - decreased costs, do not always lead to higher prices.

Further *we*, collectively, do not "allow" anything as it relates to the
price of domain names. Prices are, and should be, set by each individual
registrar. NSI and Starbucks have chosen a different model than Godaddy
and Dunkin' Donuts, that's all (with apologies to my esteemed colleagues
from NSI and Godaddy).